Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Welcome!

Well, here it is.... My very first blog. A long time listener, first time caller, I hope this space will peak your interest and help sort out the jumbled mess of thoughts that bang around my head.
I recently told one of my friends that I was interested in starting one of these things, and she passionately proclaimed her hatred of blogs and the death of the editorialist-- "Just because any Joe Smoe can post his writing on the internet does NOT make him a writer!"-- I suppose she has a point, it seems I spend a lot of time filtering before reaching something worthwhile... But at the same time, when I do find that treasure, it's kind of exciting! Who doesn't like the thrill of the hunt?
New media gives people who might not necessarily have the time-energy-chance to pursue "writing" a place to share their experiences, hone their views and maybe even gain some constructive criticism.. and what's so bad about that? I like the internet, but I still like the editorial section of the Globe and Mail and the feel of newsprint between my fingers, that's for sure. So maybe this won't be a treasure, or maybe it will...and maybe I'll never be an editorialist, but that doesn't mean I can't let you know what it's like to be an American girl in Vancouver living on the eastside.

No comments: